Happy Mouth Straight Bar Hanging Cheek
The Hanging Cheek is also known as the Filet Baucher. It uses pressure on the poll as the cheek piece has an extra ring above the snaffle ring where the bridle cheek pieces are attached to, this poll pressure encourages the horse to lower the head and come on to the bit especially useful for horses that have a high head carriage. This cheek has proven one of the most popular cheeks with various mouthpieces. It is a fixed cheek bit, which may be useful for horses that are unsure of the bit, as it doesn’t move around too much in the mouth. It may prove a suitable alternative to a snaffle, for children riding ponies that need an extra bit of help to stop, or horses that are slightly too strong in a snaffle.
The Straight Bar Mouthpiece
The Straight bar is a very mild mouthpiece; it is an unvarying mouthpiece, which means the pressure on the mouth doesn’t change very much, as it is a fixed mouthpiece. The bit puts pressure on the tongue and lips (corner of the mouth), it does use slight pressure on the bars depending on the size of your horses tongue. This bit is very useful for those horses who have a very soft mouth and don’t like complicated mouthpieces, it may also be useful for horses who back off the contact and need that extra bit of confidence in the bit. This mouthpiece would not be suitable if your horse leans on the bit or if they tend to take hold of the bit, also may not be suitable for the breeds with larger tongues as they may find this uncomfortable. An alternative for the horses with larger tongues may be the Cambridge (ported) mouth bits, which have that little extra tongue room or a double-jointed bit, which follows the curvature of the tongue.
The History of the Happy Mouth Bit
The Description on the Happy Mouth Bit by E Jeffries is as follows:
1. As everybody knows, most horses dislike having the bit forced into the mouth, particularly metal and stainless steel bits which are cold and hard and not welcoming, therefore horses often show a great deal of resistance. From this we recognized that there was a potential demand for a bit that was both COMFORTABLE and PLEASURABLE for the horse, and which any horse would instantly accept.
2. All horses have very different characters and breeding, therefore a bit has to be suitable for all types. It is important for bit to vary in shape, in thickness and in hardness, in order to adapt to any horse, regardless of breed age or temperament.
3. Due to advance technology modern scientists have developed an “Engineering or “SPACE AGE plastic, to be used in a variety of industries. We have chosen the most DURABLE, NON TOXIC, FLEXIBLE, and LONG LASTING polyurethane plastic for our HAPPY MOUTH BIT, which proves a nice, SOFT, GENTLE touch to the horses mouth.
4. One unique characteristic of this revolutionary bit is the apple flavour, which has been added to the plasic; as we have discovered many horses instantly recognise this flavour, and hence readily accept the bit without resistance. This has been illustrated in various countries over the last 10 years by an increase in the usage of the HAPPY MOUTH BIT, proving the overwhelming success of the idea.
5. Consequently, the increase in demand for the HAPPY MOUTH BIT is evidence enough that it has become widely accepted by both the customer and more importantly the horse which translates to us as complete satisfaction. A happy horse is one that uses the HAPPY MOUTH BIT.
Instructions For Use
This product has a flexible mouth, which by its very nature, is more easily damaged than metal. It is most important that the bit is of the correct size and that it lies central in the horses mouth.
Teeth marks on the bit may indicate that the horses mouth is in need of attention. All bits should be checked on a regular basis and on no account should a damaged bit be allowed to continue in use.